Monday 18 September 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week.  It's a great post to organise yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog   and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date. And here we are!





Life right now!

Temperatures are dropping along with some of the leaves from the trees. Apples are starting to ripen in the garden and nighttime temperatures are down to single figures (°C) So far, no frost. As we've had so much rain over the summer and the beginning of Autumn, there are plenty of wild mushroom and toadstools around like this Coral Mushroom. At the end of next week, my son begins his week-long Autumn holiday...where is the time going?







What am I currently reading?

Dear Bridget, I Want You by Penelope Ward and Vi Keeland

Dear Bridget,
I’m writing this letter because it’s highly doubtful I’ll ever garner the courage to say this to your face.
So, here goes.
We’re totally wrong for each other. You’re the proper single mum with a good head on your shoulders. I’m just the carefree British doctor passing through town and temporarily living in your converted garage until I head back to England.
But here’s the thing… for some bloody reason, I can’t stop thinking about you in very inappropriate ways.
I want you.
The only reason I’m even admitting all of this to you right now is because I don’t believe it’s one-sided. I notice your eyes when you look at me, too. And as crass as I appear when we’re joking around about sex, my attraction to you is not a joke.
So, what’s the purpose of this note? I guess it’s a reminder that we’re adults, that sex is healthy and natural, and that you can find me just through the door past the kitchen. More specifically, it’s to let you know that I’m leaving said door cracked open from now on in case you’d like to visit me in the middle of the night sometime.
No questions asked.
Think about it.
Or don’t.
Whatever you choose.
It’s doubtful I’ll even end up sliding this letter under your door anyway.
Simon

Thoughts so far...

I'm at 54% on my Kindle (Chapter 22) and enjoying the novel so far, but it could be better. The hero is British, so there is plenty of British English words within the dialogue. However, when we get his point of view, it's written like the rest of the novel in America English. As letter writing between the protagonists is their thing, he uses American spelling rather than British. I know I'm probably being pedantic but as a Brit and native British English speaker, it just makes such a character less authentic. I've seen this happen before with books written by non-British writers but for those who are not as familiar with the differences between the two languages, it never becomes an issue because they don't know any better. For me, it's disappointing.

Book(s) I've read this past week?

It's been a busy week leaving not a lot of time to devote to reading. Therefore I only managed two books: In Pieces by Danielle Pearl and Such A Pretty Girl by Tess Diamond


What are you reading?


1 comment:

  1. It's getting cooler here with fog in the mornings. It's the return of the fog that really signals the start of autumn in the Bay Area. We're not down to single digits yet — that usually only happens in January and February. It was 12 C this morning.

    Come see what I'm reading

    ReplyDelete